There are many ways you may volunteer to support our troops. Click “Contact Us” or email the committee chairperson for your area of interest (in “Organization”)
VOLUNTEER AT THE VA
- Produce and/or identify, purchase and collect comfort items for hospitalized veterans.
- Collect clothing and comfort items for the VA Homeless Vet Program.
- Collect items for BABY baskets (layette of essential newborn items including hand-made booties and blanket) for hospitalized pregnant veteran mothers or spouses of veterans.
- Plan and/or participate in events for hospitalized vets.
- Southern Arizona VA Health Care Services (SAVAHCS) has a wide variety of volunteer needs. www.tucson.va.gov or contact (520) 792-1450 Voluntary Services for information.
- VA Volunteer Caregiver Support Program visits homebound veterans and provides family and caregiver support. Cathy Starr, Coordinator (520) 792-1450 x6020.
- VA Hospital “Hero’s Welcome” visits newly-admitted patients in the four inpatient wards.
- Help with programs such as luncheons, dances, speakers, golf tournaments as well as other special events hosted or sponsored by STS.
- Assist in the identification and planning of fund raising events.
- Coordinate with the Publicity Committee to promote sponsored events.
- Maintain the membership list.
- Contact members on a periodic basis to ensure their information is current and access STS members’ activities of interest.
- Keep Activity Chairs/Leaders informed of members desire to serve in their areas.
- Research and identify potential grantor agencies for our programs
- Complete grant applications and monitor progress
- Complete necessary grant reporting requirements
- Assist taking, selecting and editing photos of significant events.
- Assist researching and writing articles about STS.
- Committee of active member volunteers seek elected officers and other committee members (see Bylaws).
- Document STS events and activities for website and publicity. Your own camera is required.